Sunday, October 2, 2011

Chickpea Crepes

I had it in my mind that I was going to make chickpea crepes, and then I opened the cabinet and discovered that I had no chickpea flour. Tragic. I am REFUSING to go to the grocery store until after vacation, so that was not an option. I did manage to find dried chickpeas, so I decided to make my flour from scratch. This process was actually pretty simple: Blend the chickpeas in the food processor, use the coffee grinder for the stubborn ones, and then sift into a bowl! Easy enough, but I must advise you to warn your neighbors and put some ear muffs on the cats because the sound of a blade hitting a chickpea is dangerous.

Chickpea Crepes
makes approx. 12-15 crepes

Ingredients:
1 cup chickpea flour
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 1/4 cups water

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, making sure there are no lumps remaining. Pour a thin layer of batter on a non stick crepe pan (mine was sticky, so I threw down a little Earth Balance, it made for a yummy crispy outside too!!!). Tip the pan to make sure the batter evenly coats the bottom of the pan. Cook until the crepe begins to turn a golden brown and then flip it with a spatula and cook the other side. TA-DA!!!!It may not look pretty, but it sure tasted pretty. I sauteed up some kale, garlic, onions, mushrooms, and spread some herbed cashew cheese that I made the other night.

Oh....and the best part? Toss a spoonful of sugar in the batter and you have dessert...
Just top it with a little dairy free ice cream & berries, roll it up and shove it in your face.

3 comments:

  1. I love chickpea flour.
    I made socca today with (pre-made)flour. I can only see myself making my own chickpea flour if I go and buy some earplugs :)

    These crepes look wonderful though. I haven't tried a dessert kind yet but I'm very tempted to after seeing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never thought about making my own chickpea flour--or putting earmuffs on a cat--you are full of great ideas tonight! (I think dessert is the BEST idea!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So simple, but so good! I need to make some of these with the chickpea flour I have in my pantry.

    ReplyDelete