Saturday, October 1, 2011

Vegan MoFo & Some Crackers.

I have decided that this year I will ACTUALLY participate in Vegan MoFo...and not just talk about it and/or think about it. I have the time now and absolutely NO excuses not to.

I'm leaving for Puerto Rico in 10 days and it is my goal to use as much food from the garden (and the fridge) before I leave. Today I decided to burn through some Daiya and some jalapenos from the yard and veganize a recipe in one of the omni cookbooks that has been collecting dust on my shelf.

This following recipe is adapted from "From the Cook's Garden" by Ellen Ecker Ogden.


Cheesy Jalapeno Wafers

Ingredients:

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 medium jalapeno- seeded and minced
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
6 tablespoons vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance)
2 cups shredded vegan cheese (I used 1 cup cheddar Daiya & one cup pepperjack Daiya)

Using a food processor, pulse the flour, seeds, jalapeno, baking powder, salt and pepper. With the machine running, slowly add the margarine. Add the vegan cheese and pulse until the mixture is course. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cold water and pulse until the mixture forms a ball. Gather up the dough and divide into two equal portions.

Using a lightly floured work surface form each portion into a 10 inch roll and wrap with plastic wrap or waxed paper. Refrigerate until well chilled (at least 2 hours).

Preheat the over to 425*. Cut the rolls into 1/4 inch thick rounds and arrange them 1 inch apart on baking sheets. I was feeling fancy, so I sprinkled a few sesame seeds on top before baking

Bake until the wafers are golden brown, about 10 minutes.
Cool, and EAT!




I have used Daiya a million times before, but never in baking, and I was really amazed. I can't stop eating these. ugh (in a good way).

3 comments: