Monday, October 3, 2011

Super Kale Salad

I was productive and cleaned out my fridge in preparation for the delicious meal I was going to make, but it was rainy...and I was lazy. So, when my friend called and wanted to go out to dinner or drinks, I said "dinner!". We went to a restaurant down the street from my house. It's a place I always forget exists, but enjoy every time I'm reminded. East West Cafe is a yummy veggie friendly place (vegan dishes are clearly marked!) with a cozy atmosphere. I ordered the BBQ Delite, and now I'm stuck on the couch and can't move. I should have gone for the salad and not the fries.

Now I must drag my ass off the couch and make lunch for tomorrow...I am completely OBSESSED with the "Super Spinach Salad" at Trader Joe's. I was going into TJ's way too often and forking over $3.99 for this delicious melange. I finally decided to make a version myself, and now I can't stop. I make it at least a few times a week and NEVER get sick of it. It's quick, easy and very satisfying.

Katie's Super KALE Salad with Carrot Miso Ginger Dressing
serves two
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1 medium carrot-julienned
1 bunch kale-stemmed and chopped (or 1 cup spinach)
1/4 cup cooked & shelled edamame
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
8-10 cherry tomatoes
Carrot Miso Ginger Dressing (I found an awesome recipe for the Dressing here.)

Place the chilled quinoa on the bottom of a medium bowl. Combine the the rest of the ingredients in the bowl. Coat the salad generously with the Carrot Miso Ginger dressing. Enjoy!
Remember, when using kale, it may be best to let the dressing marinate for a few minutes to soften the leaves.

I have to play with the settings on my camera a little more, the lighting in my house makes everything look yellow.

1 comment: